Advertising Avenues: Human Resources
Looking to get into the ad industry? Our Advertising Avenues series will give you some insight into the well-known and not-so-well-known positions available within an agency. Most students know about job titles under the creative or accounts umbrella. There are many more careers outside of these categories that are just as important in making the magic happen. Human resources are one of the under-rated departments within an advertising agency that are crucial to having a successful agency.
The human resources position is in charge of upholding the culture of the company and recruiting people that will fit the vibes of the workplace. On top of that, they’re in charge of technical aspects like benefits, payroll, internal conflict, and training new employees. They’re basically the mediators and gatekeepers of the agency they work at. Not only do they handle all the intricate details of smoothly running an organization, but they’re in charge of bringing in top talent that will only enhance the performance in the workplace.
Here is a list of the daily tasks performed by an HR worker provided by www.allbusinessschools.com:
- Consult with employers to identify needs and preferred qualifications
- Interview applicants about their experience, education and skills
- Contact references and perform background checks
- Inform applicants about job details such as benefits and conditions
- Hire or refer qualified candidates
- Conduct new employee orientations
- Process paperwork
- Plan and coordinate the workforce to best use employees’ talents
- Resolve issues between management and employees
- Advise managers on policies like equal employment opportunity and sexual harassment
- Coordinate and supervise the work of specialists and staff
- Oversee recruitment and hiring process
- Direct disciplinary procedures
So if you feel that you’re all about micromanaging and would love to be a part of preserving the culture of a place you love, then this is a job option for you.
Stay tuned for the next Advertising Avenues post to learn about another cool career path!