Happy Fall y’all! It’s that time of year again where everyone breaks out their sweaters, boots, and most importantly – remembers their love for pumpkin spice. If you’re anything like me, the second Starbucks announces pumpkin spice is back, I head straight to Norman Library for a Grande Hot Pumpkin Spice Latte. While we may not be feeling the cool weather like other places do in the fall, there are still some ways we can spice up our lives this fall semester. If you are looking for an easy way to get in the fall spirit while juggling midterms check out this fun candle-making DIY that only takes about 10 minutes.
All you will need is a mason jar, wick, beeswax, coconut oil, and spice of choice. My personal favorite is the holy grail of fall – pumpkin spice – but choose whatever your heart desires. All these items can be picked up at your local craft store. My go-to place for spices is Trader Joe’s if you have time to make an extra stop!
Now – let’s get to the candle-making.
- place the wick in the jar using tape.
- take a pencil and wrap the wick around as a temporary place holder.
- put the beeswax coconut oil, and spices together in the jar and then add the jar to the pot with about three inches of water.
- bring to a simmer to allow the wax to melt, stirring as you go. This should only take about 5 minutes.
- let the wax harden overnight and wake up to a beautiful, scented candle and your brand-new apartment or dorm décor!
It is that just that easy. This is a super fun activity to do with your roommates, especially if you need a relaxing study break. Skip the Starbucks line just this once to try out this new twist on a fall favorite!